Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My mother

This seems like a highly typical thing to talk about, one's mother, but I have due cause to do so.

I love my mother. I don't think she could do anything that would ever make me not love her. But like all mother's (or parents in general) she has her flaws.

To put it simply, had Facebook existed when I was born, I would have been one of those children who drowned in the bathtub, or choked on their food, because their mother was too busy playing Farmville to pay the correct amount of attention to their child during those activities.

My mother has the bad habit of starting something, but never finishing it.

Some examples are:
1) She will wash dishes, but not put any of the clean dishes away.
2) She'll do laundry, but not hang it out to dry - or she'll hang it to dry, but not take it off the line.
3) She'll make/eat supper but not do any of the dishes.
4) She'll start a project and then find an excuse to not finish the project.
5) She'll take the sheets from her bed to wash, and not put any fresh on her bed - for weeks.

From that list you can see what I'm getting at.

Now I live with my mother for financial considerations. Between the two of us we make less then the take home pay of the mom of one of the little girls I watch.

I had a sweet 2 bedroom basement suite in Regina, Sask, Canada (where I lived before I was forced to move to Fort Qu'Appelle, Sask, Canada to live back at my mother's house). I paid $600 a month in rent, with all my utilities included. The issue was I rented from my boss, and my boss was, in a word, a dick-tator... She had the bad habit of saying something, and the next day denying she had said it.

I decided to quit my job, and move. I could have found any number of Child Care jobs in Regina, but finding a rental for under $1000 a month (a.k.a. over half my pay cheque) where I could have my ferrets (because I have 2) was literally impossible. So out to mother's I moved.

And I can quite honestly say it is like living with a teenager.

I have to ask for assistance with household chores: cleaning, laundry, dishes, cooking... don't even get me started on outside chores (mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, etc).

Basically if I want something done, I have to do it myself. Which gets very tiring. I work a 10 hour work day watching three children 5 days a week (yes, I work a 50 hour week and make $1,500 a month.. WOO! *headdesk*), needless to say I'm very tired by the end of the day, and the last thing I want to do is go downstairs and do ANOTHER load of laundry, and then hang it on the line to dry (our drier is buggered at the moment, and trying to get her to call someone to fix it, well let's just say I've given up, and will figure out how to do it myself!).

I do feel guilty at times that I don't make more money to help her out more, but even when I was living on my own and working I was helping her financially - we set up a bank account we could both transfer into for that very purpose.

So while my mother acts like a teenager, who chews ice on a regular basis, and snaps their gum and takes 30 minutes to answer a call for assistance, I do love her, and will for the foreseeable future be living with her.

Hell, we're even in the midst of planning a move to Las Vegas.

No comments: